Thursday, May 14, 2015

Baby Steps

Up until yesterday evening, we hadn't really encouraged Lily to start walking. 

Those precious first steps are also the steps into toddlerhood, and I don't think any of us have been ready to give up our baby Lily just yet.

She loves walking while holding your hand, or while pushing a toy in front of her.  She has taken a step or two on her own, but I am choosing not to count those.  They were more like stumbling from one person's arms to another's out of necessity.  :) 

Last night, we practiced with her for a while.  She would toddle from Brian to me and back again with very limited success.  Sometimes she would immediately collapse when we let go of her.  Other times she would lunge at one of us face first.  And then one time she took a good solid four steps.  The entire time she was cracking up, giggling, squealing - she couldn't stop laughing!  She realized she was doing something new and couldn't contain her excitement.  For that moment in time, my heart seemed to double in size.   

So, although I have been dreading this new skill for quite some time, last night I saw a glimmer of why I should be excited about it too.  This little girl went from a floppy, helpless newborn to a confident, hilarious little walker in about a year....or a blink of an eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment